I’ve been making it a bit of a habit when shopping to buy one of Boost’s chocolate protein balls. I was so chuffed that there was now a delicious ‘healthy snack’ available at most shopping centres, without needing to battle through the supermarkets. But boy, was my bubble burst when I read the nutritional information on Boost’s website. These are not quite as nutritional as I thought : ‘Biscuit Crumb, Butter Unsalted, Sweetened Condensed Milk’ were the first three ingredients. WHHHHAAAA???!!! How is that a healthy protein ball!?! So I’ve developed my own All Natural Bliss Balls as an alternative to the Boost Chocolate Protein Balls. Reis gave them the tick of approval as the yummiest ‘healthy snack’ I had made! I very much agree.
TIME: 5 minutes +20 minute refrigeration
Makes: 20 balls
16 Medjool dates (seeds removed)
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup almonds
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup shredded coconut
2 tbs cocoa
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbs honey
1/4 cup desiccated coconut (for rolling)
NB: If you don’t have any of these ingredients you can substitute them for nuts/seeds/fruits of similar consistency or leave them out and just play until you get the right consistency so the mixture sticks together.
1. Wizz dates and nuts together in food processor for 1 minute (or until small chunks), then add remaining ingredients and wiz until combined, leaving some of the nuts/seeds big enough to give the ball some crunchy texture.
2. Form approximately 1 tbs of mixture into balls and roll in desiccated coconut.
3. Refrigerate for 20 minutes (or until ready to eat!)
WARNING: The deliciousness of these balls makes them highly addictive, you may want to portion them out into snack bags with the days of the week to ensure they are treats!
What flavour bliss balls/protein balls have you tried? Which should I try making next?
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Farmers Markets in Canberra - June 22, 2017
- Healthy Raspberry and Apple Crumble Topping Recipe - June 20, 2017
- 3 Things you can do to be Proactive about Your Health - June 15, 2017