In our house, there’s always plenty of vegetables, so stir fries are our ‘go to’ meal. I imagine that this will be a dish my future children will later reminisce on as their common childhood dinner, in the same way I recall Mum’s bangas and mash or zucchini slice and veges – those ‘there-is-no-time-but-we’ve-still-gotta-eat’ meals! I also imagine all you Mum’s laughing at me, saying ‘good luck trying to get your child to eat that!’ I’m going to try! Stir fries are simple, nutritious and easy to work with. Simply changing your herbs, spices or sauces can give it a completely different taste and it can be bulked out by whatever veges are in the fridge.
This week I created a Rainbow vegetable chicken stirfry because I had a large variety of vegetables from Charlies’ vegetable box (yep, you got it, its on a giveaway this week!). So here’s the recipe:
Time: 15 min prep (can do the night before)
Serves: 6 or with more rice 8.
Stirfry Sauce mixture:
-1/2 large lemon or whole small lemon
– 1 tsp chilli flakes
– 1tbs sesame oil
– 3 tbs hoisin sauce
– 3 tbs soy sauce
– 500g chicken, sliced and browned
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
– 1 red capsicum, sliced
– 1 green capsicum, sliced
– 4 carrots, chopped
– large handful of snowpeas
– 1/4 purple cabbage, sliced
– 500g pumpkin, cubed and partially cooked (microwave container with lid and dash of water, 1 min)
– 5 medium mushrooms
– 2 shallots, sliced thinly
– 1 zucchini
Serve with Brown Rice, lemon, thai basil and season to taste.
1. Mix together sauce ingredients in small bowl with whisk. Set aside.
2. On a medium heat, stir fry vegetables until cooked through.
3. In the mean time cook your rice.
3. Add chicken and sauce and stir for another minute or until cooked through.
4. Go tick off the 5-8 vege serving you needed for today and enjoy!
Giveaway! – Sorry, this giveaway has now closed.
Want to win most the ingredients used to make this PLUS MORE?!