I’m a big advocate for cooking with herbs and spices (as you might have noticed from my recipes). That’s why I was excited when Sami’s Kitchen sent me some of their pre-mixed spice blends to create you a delicious recipe with! For the two mouth-watering but healthy recipes below I’ve used their Zaatar and Falafel blends. BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE. **drumroll** I have my first competition on the blog – and a) this is exciting! b) there are scrumptious snacks to be won! For 10 people!!
Zaatar Pita Chips & Greek Yogurt Dip
This is the perfect ‘nibbles’ recipe that will excite your guests taste buds before the main has even arrived…with only 1 minute preparation and 5-7 minutes in the oven.
4 1/2 tbs Sami’s Kitchen Zaatar Spice blend
5 tbs olive oil
1 large pita bread
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 tbs mint, roughly chopped (easiest thing to grow EVER)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp salt
1. Heat oven to 175°C.
2. Combine Zaatar and olive oil in a small bowl to form paste.
3. Cut around the edge of the pita to form two rounds.
4. Place on lined baking tray and spread mixture over the rough side (I found the back of a plastic spoon best for this, rather than a brush)
5. Bake for 5-7 minutes/when edges are golden brown.
6. Cool and cut into wedges.
7. Combine remaining ingredients for dip and serve with chips…YUM YUM YUM!
Healthy Vegan Falafel
These are AMAZING! Meat free, vegan appropriate and boy friendly – even Reis was asking to have them for lunch the next day. Serve in a salad with a lemon dressing or in pitta bread with lettuce, mayo, tomato.
2.5 tbs Sami’s Kitchen’s Falafel Spice Blend
1.5 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Large handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 onion, diced (I didn’t but I recommend browning in fry pan)
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tbs quinoa flour (or normal flour)
1 tbs tahini
salt and pepper to taste
1-3 tbs olive oil
1. Blend chickpeas until they have a paste-like texture.
2. Add chickpeas to all other ingredients (except oil) in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat 1/2 oil in frying pan whilst forming patties – 1tbs per patty.
4. Fry 1-2 minutes on each side.
5. If multiple batches need to be fried wipe out pan and add the rest of the oil before frying subsequent batches.
6. Enjoy by serving as noted above!
Competition time! Sorry this competition has now ended.
Well very generously, Sami’s Kitchen are giving 10 of my special readers the chance to win two packets each from their specially spiced nuts and seeds range (each prize worth $9.60)!
What do you have to do to win?
1. Comment below in 25 words or less either a) how you would use the Zaatar or Falafel Spice blend or b) who you would share the spiced nuts with and why.
Any fine print?
1. Competition will be open to entrants until midnight 9 May 2014 (GMT+10.00).
2. Winners will be notified via email and have one week thereafter to provide their mailing address to me. If they fail to do so, an alternative entrant will be chosen. Prizes will be sent to winners via mail.
3. New Zealand and Australian residents only.
4. Winners will be judged at the discretion of the writer and according to their compliance with the abovementioned rules.
Email me (address on about page) or comment below.
Go win some nuts! I’ve tasted them, and TRUST ME it’s worth the effort to enter! Sorry this competition has now ended – keep an eye out for more soon! xx
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Healthy Pumpkin, Spinach & Feta Salad Recipe - April 28, 2017
- Post-marathon Muscle Aches May be a Part of Your Genes - April 27, 2017
- Healthy Refined Sugar-Free ANZAC Biscuits - April 22, 2017