From this tiny flower here, sprouted this devine eggplant.
My eggplant finally sprouted thanks to these little bees. I was so excited I decided I must make a healthy stuffed eggplant – the recipe is below so I hope you enjoy it too!
Stuffed EggplantFeeds 3 people.
- 3 eggplants
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 large zuchinni, diced in 1cm cubes
- large pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 can of diced italian tomatoes with garlic and basil
- 1/2 cup of basil (fresh from my garden)
- 1/4 cup thyme (fresh from my garden)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Approx 1 cup light tasty or parmasen cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200ᵒC (180ᵒC fan forced). Spray baking dish with olive oil.
2. Cut the stems off the eggplants and then cut them in half lengthwise. Use a knife to cut slight indents 1cm from the edge of the eggplant so that it forms an easy guide for the spoon to follow as you scoop the pulp out. Try to keep the pulp in one peice (depending on the age of the eggplant the difficulty of this can vary), leaving the egg plant as a 1cm thick shell.
3. Dice the eggplant pulp into 1cm square pieces.
4. In a large pan, warm the oil then add the onion, garlic, zucchini, black pepper, and diced eggplant on a medium heat and saute.
5. Add the canned tomato, thyme and basil.
6. Stir until tender approximately 6-8 minutes.
7. Place eggplant shells in prepared baking dish and fill each shell with cooked vegetable mixture.
8. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and cook for 25 minutes or until eggplant shell is tender and cheese bubbles.
These filled me up for a meal sufficiently, despite being primarily vegetable based. Eggplant would make a great meat substitute for a vegetarian (not in terms of protein etc) – it fills you up quite nicely. It’s actually a member of the potato family but has no where near as many carbohydrates. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! xox
P.S. You may have noticed in the first image, the eggplant was wet – surprise, surprise it has been bucketing down rain in Brisbane. Jed has been finding refuge on this chair…but the poor darling does not look happy. Cheer up Jedi-boy!
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Dietitian shares thoughts on Intermittent fasting: should you do it? - August 11, 2017
- How to Make Homemade Coconut Butter - July 31, 2017
- Berlei sports bras collaborate with Artist Kate Banazi & 5 bras to giveaway! - July 25, 2017