I really loved this workout because not only was it challenging, my trainer, Marc, focused on proper techniques for dead lifts and squats. I’d never been taught this one on one before so it was awesome he could tweak my performance to help me lift higher weights without injuring myself. I have his step by step cues below (and in the printable which you can get emailed to you – see below) to help you do this too! The weight lifting is tied into a circuit with the TRX (pictured above) and it’s a real killer…try it if you dare 😉
It’s a circuit – work hard with good technique
This is a circuit so you will complete all exercise then run through it all again 3-5 times.
Barbell Romanian Dead Lift
- Assume standing set up posture with deep hip / shoulder width apart and toes turned out. Stand behind the BB.
- Unlock the knees then bend down to grip the bar by leaning forward at the hips and bending the knees.
- Grip the bar shoulder width apart using an overhand grip.
- Before lifting, check that the back is straight and the shoulder are forward of the body.
- Push through the heels as you pull the bar up your shins keeping the knees over the feet.
- As the bar passes the knees, start to drive the hips forward until both the hips and knees are extended and you are standing straight.
- Keep the arms and back straight throughout the movement and on standing, pull should back slightly.
- To lower the bar, ensure the knees are unlocked then lead forward at the hips and bend the knees.
- Keep the bar close to the legs and lower to just above the ground. Then lift again.
Suggested Reps and Weight for Dead Lift
12-15Reps – I completed with 35kg (including bar weight).
Barbell Back Squat
- Assume standing set up posture with wide foot position (at least shoulder width apart) and toes turned out.
- Ensure the knees are unlocked then bend hips and knees simultaneously to sit down and lower your body
- Allow the knees to move forwards as the hips move backwards keeping the knees inline with feet.
- The shin and trunk should be parallel with each other.
- Keep the neck in line with the spine – look forward along the floor as you descend.
- Go as low as you can maintaining good form (knees 90 degrees or slightly lower is suitable for most gym goers).
- Initiate the lift by pushing up through the heels, drive hips forward to fully extend without thrusting forward and fully extend the knees without locking.
Suggested Reps and Weight for Barbell Back Squat
12-15 Reps; I completed with 35kg (including bar weight).
Monkey Bar Swing
For some laughs and to increase your grip strength, swing from bar to bar with two hands landing on the same bar before moving to the next one. Don’t swing the body side to side too much.
TRX Neutral Grip Row
- Adjust TRX to short length.
- Stand facing the anchor, lean back with arms straight and keep palms facing down
- Squeeze should blades together keeping elbows at 45 degrees from sides and move body up towards the anchor point.
- Return to start position, maintain body alignment.
Move your feet further inward to make it more difficult or outward to make it easier.
TRX Hamstring Curl
- Adjust TRX to full length.
- Sit facing the anchor, place heels in the foot cradles and lie down with legs extended and feet directly below the anchor point.
- Drive heels down into foot cradles while lifting hips up and pulling heels in.
Suggested reps for TRX hamstring curl
20 – 25 Reps
TRX Knee Tuck
- Adjust TRC to full length.
- Kneel facing away from the anchor with both feet in foot cradles and align hands under shoulders.
- Lift knees up off the ground, raising hips slightly bringing knees into chest.
- Maintain body alignment at fully extended start position.
Suggested reps for TRX knee tuck
20 – 25 reps
Want all this in a FREE printable to take with you for your circuits at the gym?
All you need to do is subscribe to EPW and you’ll receive all my free workout printables plus a daily wellbeing planner. It will be just like having your own PT!!
Have you used the TRX before? Which TRX exercises do you like?
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Farmers Markets in Canberra - June 22, 2017
- Healthy Raspberry and Apple Crumble Topping Recipe - June 20, 2017
- 3 Things you can do to be Proactive about Your Health - June 15, 2017