Today we welcome my darling sister Kate to share with us her love for Mexico. I’m dying to visit now after reading this and seeing her photos! I hope you enjoy it too! To follow more of her adventures, see @_kateelisabeth on instagram. Love Amy xx
Earlier this year I spent some time travelling through Mexico. It was my first big (semi-solo) trip. It was the best. I saw, loved and learnt a lot. I highly recommend visiting!
So, these are my 10 reasons why you should travel to Mexico:
1. The towns
Mexico simply has the coolest and most vibrant little towns. The houses are painted bright colours and the cobblestone streets are ever-filled with locals, markets, food and music. The atmosphere is unreal!
2. The food and drink
- Tacos, churros and guacamole. These were a few of my favourite things!! The food is nothing like our version of Mexican and almost everything is spicy. I ate most meals with tears streaming down my face…but it was totally worth it! You will love it…and dream of it.
- Tequila and margaritas were of course incredibly yummy, but Mezcal (an alcoholic drink derived from the native plant maguey) is definitely at the top of the list of drinks you will want to try.
3. The history
- If you’re an ancient history buff, you’ll love the ancient ruins and history throughout Mexico. I’m not going to lie, I zoned out once or twice when the guide spoke (maybe more…I was too busy taking photos!), but there is no doubt a rich history there to discover. The ruins themselves were awesome to explore and climbing to the tops of the pyramids always resulted in incredible views.
4. The threads
- So many hand woven, vibrantly coloured threads! You will not have trouble finding some sweet throws, blankets or hammocks that will look super cool at home and remind you of the wicked time you had in Mexico.
5. The People
- The local people are beautiful! You will be in awe. They are super lovely, friendly and were especially patient when I attempted to speak Spanish (or at least the very few words I knew). Not once did I feel unsafe or in danger, and no one was abducted (winning!). I befriended a few Mexican kids in San Cristóbal who were selling hand made clay animals and shining shoes on the streets..they were cheeky, gorgeous and hungry, so we had lunch together. The children will melt your heart!
6. The Dancing
- DAMN, can Mexicans dance!!!! The salsa dancing…*swoon*. You will love it. I spent most of my nights dancing away, or watching locals dance. The locals dance on the streets of an afternoon, and also on stage in a more traditional style of dance with a mariachi band. So. Much. Fun.
7. The water
- Cenotes, hidden beaches and the warmth and blue of the Caribbean water were my absolute favourite places to swim. I think I love swimming even more now (if that’s even possible) because of these insanely beautiful places! You will be mesmerised.
- Mexico isn’t exactly the richest of nations. Your eyes will be opened, if they weren’t already. It was an experience to see how hard they work yet how little they have, and naturally made me appreciate the privileged life I live in Australia; employment, health care, education, food, a roof over my head. The trip definitely made me want to head back over and nurse there one day [so many dreams!].
- And of course you will meet other travellers from all different places. I met the most amazing people along the way and I had the most fun venturing around Mexico with them!! I am so glad I got to share my travels with such good people.
- For the Christians reading this, travelling to Mexico (or anywhere) will bring opportunities at any moment to share God’s love. I sure did not expect, for example, to be sharing God’s love or my love for Him in a tiny Mexican emergency department at four in the morning, but there I was, by God’s grace, getting to share it with a now very dear friend. One of the best moments of my travels.
“Declare his glory among the nations, his marvellous deeds among all peoples” 1 Chronicles 16:24
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Is Butter Better than Margarine? Dietitian shares insights. - September 21, 2019
- Aria’s Newborn Photoshoot + Win a photoshoot with Sydney Lifestyle & Family photographer Afton Fife (valued at over $2000) - September 13, 2019
- Retail therapy calling you? Here’s some things I am loving right now! - September 6, 2019