If, like me, you’re interested in health and nutrition, the word ‘microbiome’ may have been popping up in your social media feeds, your emails or in conversation with your friends and family. But what does it mean and how will this Apple, Raspberry and Coconut Bircher Muesli help it? Read on to find out and get this simple, quick and healthy bircher muesli recipe.
What is microbiome?
Microbiome refers to the microorganisms that live in your gut and mostly, in your colon. It’s currently the hot topic for nutrition research. We understand that our microbiome is very complex, affects things such as our immune health and digestion and is impacted by our diet, but details on the specifics of what occurs in our gut still alludes us.
Eat those probiotics
What we do know is that eating probiotics, or good bacteria, can improve our gut health by balancing out the bad bacteria in our gut. We get good bacteria (probiotics) from foods such as kimchi, sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, sourdough bread and probably the most familiar to our western diets – yogurt! This Apple, Raspberry and Coconut Bircher Muesli is a great breakfast recipe that includes my favourite greek yogurt. Let’s get our taste buds and our microbiome happy!
- ½ cup Chobani Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp LSA
- 1 tbsp quick oats
- ½ green apple, grated
- Mix all the ingredients together and leave to soak overnight (or about 20 mins if you are pressed for time).
- Top with fresh berries, flaked almonds and a drizzle of honey (optional).
I’ve whipped up this Breakfast Bircher recipe using a natural greek yogurt to make sure that I start my day being kind to my microbiome. I use this recipe if I know I am going to be on the run in the morning because I can make it the night before, pop it in a take away container and simply grab it from the fridge on my way out the door! I add chia seeds to give me an extra boost of omega-3.
If you would like more healthy breakfast recipe options click here.
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Should I switch to buying organic food in Australia? - September 21, 2018
- Easy Zucchini, Ham and Feta Frittata (gluten free, low FODMAP) - September 14, 2018
- The thought that gave me the confidence to workout in a crop top - September 11, 2018