I scrawled out this recipe in my lunch break one day this week and left it (strategically placed) at home on the bench. Despite my hinted list and accompanying pile of ingredients, I wasn’t sure whether I would come home to a) a blow my socks off meal; b) a pile of unappetising mush sending me back to the creative drawing board; or c) ingredients still sitting on the bench. I was pleased when I discovered option A had come to fruition. Thank you Reis! What a man. He doesn’t cook much because I enjoy it so much but after a frenzied day at work, it was such a blessing. So ladies and gents hit print below, cook up a healthy mexican storm and bless your other half this week!
Black bean, Corn and Chilli Stew – Healthy Mexican
2 x 400g can black beans (I found these in my local health food store)
3 long medium heat chillis
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 trimmed corn cobs or 1 can of corn kernals
2 tsp olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped finely
2 x 400g can of crushed tomatoes with herbs
4 x wholemeal tortilla wraps
1 small red onion
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 lebanese cucumber, diced
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Strain canned beans. Set aside.
3. Deseed chillis, place in a small bowl of boiling water and soak for 15 minutes. Blend chilli and soaking liquid in food processor until smoth.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 corn with cumin.
5. Heat oil in a large oven-proof pot and cook onion until soft. Add drained beans, chilli mixture, corn mixture, undrained tomatoes and bring to boiling point. Cook, uncovered, in oven for about 20 minutes to thicken the sauce.
6. Meanwhile, combine remaining corn and salsa ingredients in a medium bowl.
7. Heat tortillas.
8. Serve stew with tortilla and a side of salsa.
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Nutty Coconut Chocolate Bliss Balls Recipe - December 21, 2018
- How to manage medically diagnosed IBS in the Silly Season - December 13, 2018
- Mediterranean Dinner Bowl (Vegan, GF, Fodmap friendly) - December 7, 2018