It’s finally getting chilly here in Brisbane. Slippers, extra moisturiser, socks, wheat packs and doonas are all part of the nightly bedtime routine now. Reis and I have each had our ‘changing weather’ cold too. With many of us suffering these colds, a bit of chicken soup to warm the body has been in need. This my friends, is a Chinese Chicken Hot Pot. Cooked in the slow cooker, it produces chicken which is so succulent it can be cut with a fork and emanates inviting aromas throughout the home.
Serves: 6 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 8 hours
1.5kg chicken theighs (no need to chop it will practically melt appart with the slightest touch of a fork)
1L chicken stock
500ml chinese wine (can find this at the supermarket in asian cooking aisle, AKA chinese rice wine or shao hsing wine)
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/3 firmly packed brown sugar (or 1/4 cup of stevia if you prefer sugar free)
4 whole garlic cloves
5cm ginger, sliced thinly
3 star anise
1 tsp chinese five-spice (in spice aisle f supermarket)
2 fresh long chillis (I used Australian banana chillis), halved length ways
500g buk choy, chopped coarsely
1/3 cup coriander, chopped coarsely
1 fresh long red chilly, deseeded and sliced thinly
rice noodles (in asian aisle of supermarket)
sesame seeds, small handful
1. Combine water, stock, cooking wine, sauces, sugar, garlic, ginger, spices and chilli in 4.5L slow cooker. Add chicken, cook covered, on low, 8 hours.
2. Remove chicken thighs; strain broth through sieve into a large bowl. Discard solids. Cover chicken to keep warm. Return broth to cooker and add buk choy to cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile steam rice noodles.
3. Serve chicken with boychoy, rice noodles and drizzle broth over the top. Spinkle with sesame seeds, sliced chilli and corriander.
Have you tried Chinese Chicken Hot Pot before? What else works in the slow cooker for you?
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Should we have a Plan B BEFORE we Burnout? - August 2, 2021
- 2021 pop workout playlist + WIN a pair of wireless headphones! - February 1, 2021
- Getting your period back after having a baby - November 25, 2020