This egg, cucumber and herb salad is one of my favourites. It has a lot of fresh flavours from the variety of herbs, is packed with nutritional benefits and it keeps really well in the fridge (about 5 days). This means I can make a big batch at the start of the week and portion it out in containers for the family’s lunches throughout the week . It’s great in summer because it is light to eat and impressively colourful which makes it perfect to take with you to a summer BBQ gathering – guaranteed to impress!
I cut the onion in larger strips so I can remove it easily (it doesn’t sit well with my IBS) but you are welcome to cut it smaller if you prefer.
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed and diced
- 1 tsp of ground sea salt
- 2 fresh coriander roots, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tbs lime juice
- ¼ cup garlic infused olive oil
- 4 lebanese cucumbers, cut into chunks
- ½ red onion, sliced finely
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 12 chives, cut finely
- 5 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- ¼ cup of toasted pine nuts
- For the dressing whisk together the coriander roots, chilli, salt, lime juice and garlic infused olive oil in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cucumbers, red onion and herbs.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber mix and gently toss.
- Top with the roughly chopped eggs and toasted pine nuts.
What wine does well with this?
If you’re entertaining with this one, I recommend a glass of pinot gris.
If using as a side, what mains go well with this egg and cucumber salad?
Pumpkin, ricotta and spinach gluten free slice
Other mains that go well with this include this pumpkin ricotta and spinach gluten free slice (pictured above) which is good hot or at room temperature (making it nice for picnics).
Healthy Corn Fritters and Chilli Guacamole
It would also go nicely with these healthy corn fritters and chilli guacamole.
Healthy Shepherds Pie
Perhaps its winter and you want to pair it with something more dense? Try my low GI version of a shepherds pie.