“If you keep going, we’ll reach a coke machine at the top of the mountain!” Dad enthusiastically exclaimed to a very tired little girl on what seemed like a never ending bush walk. That tired little girl was me, when I was about 6. So at the thought of the sugary goodness, I stumbled up the rest of the mountain. We reached the top. Much to my disappointment, Dad told me he was joking about the coke machine. I was annoyed but secretly happy that we had made it to the top. One of the many things I love about my Dad is the way he has shared with me his love for the bush.
We did many walks when we were kids. Our bush walks were characterised by Dad charging ahead, Kate, Ben and I whinging and Mum pointing out and photographing every little bush flower. There were definitely times where I did NOT feel like walking or having a botany lesson. As a teenager I did not appreciate being told by Dad to take my headphones out of my ears and enjoy the sound of the birds. Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan and Good Charlotte were just SO much better to listen to. I wish I could tell teenage Amy punk rocking is NOT where it’s at.
Now I am older however, I cherish these moments. I love bush walking and any opportunity to be in God’s creation. I photograph the flowers and now pass on those botany lessons onto Reis. I listen to the wind in the trees and the birds around us. I can’t wait to pass that same appreciation onto my children. I CAN wait however for their whinging songs that accompany those lessons, haha, sorry Mum and Dad!
These photos are from the walk around the base of Mt Tamborine. This was the same weekend we went to my favourite breakfast cafe Delicatezza, remember this post?
To celebrate our wonderful Dad’s and all they put up with, EPW has some wonderful prizes to give away. Below are my favourite Father’s Day gift ideas which have been kindly donated by 5 Australian artists so that you can win these for your Dad!
What you need to do to win:
1. Comment and tell me something your Dad has taught you that you’re thankful for and which prize would be best for your Dad.
Enter more than once!
See the Rafflecopter below for more ways to enter!!
1. Flower Fill Shorts by Salty’s Short Supply – Byron Bay RRP $60
2. ‘You’re a good Dad’ Pop-up Card by Huddle and Co RRP $8 (on sale for $4, you can even personalise for $1 extra)
3. No. 9 Roasted Coffee Beans by Mt Glorious Coffee Co RR$20
4. 9 bottle interlocking wine rack by Power to Make RRP$77
5. Yellow Wheel Reflector Large and a White Rear Reflector (made from old street signs) from Cyclesign RRP$28.70
** Don’t forget even though it’s Fathers Day this weekend, these companies are Australian and can ship them to you in time if you get your order in today! PRIZES DRAWN ON FATHERS DAY and announced on EPW Facebook Page**
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Is Butter Better than Margarine? Dietitian shares insights. - September 21, 2019
- Aria’s Newborn Photoshoot + Win a photoshoot with Sydney Lifestyle & Family photographer Afton Fife (valued at over $2000) - September 13, 2019
- Retail therapy calling you? Here’s some things I am loving right now! - September 6, 2019