I love to make this classic breakfast after a lazy saturday morning sleep in. This is a simple recipe, with a list of ideas for healthy french toast toppings. It uses things you likely already have in the pantry/fridge, this is an easy french toast recipe that could really could be used as an every day breakfast.
Using wholegrain bread (instead of white) keeps it lower in sugar (low GI) which means your body will be sustained with energy for a longer period of time. Another idea to get you extra nutrients is to use a seed & grain bread.
- 4 slices of wholegrain bread
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup of lite milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp vanilla esssence
- coconut oil to fry
- Fresh blueberries and strawberries to top
- coconut butter or regular butter to top
- Beat eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla together.
- Soak bread in mixture for about 1 minute each side.
- Melt coconut oil in pan on medium heat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove from pan and wipe out pan with paper towel (this stops your bread getting a charcoal look) and repeat with remaining oil, bread and egg mixture.
- Top with butter and berries.
Healthy French Toast toppings
Here’s some ideas for healthy french toast toppings, mix and match as you like! Remember some of these whilst natural are high in sugar or fat so don’t go overboard.
- peaches (grilled or raw)
- almond butter (or any other nut butter)
- 100% peanut butter mixed with coconut oil
- whipped coconut cream
- 100% maple syrup
- coconut flakes
- almond flakes
- 70% cocoa dark chocolate
- fried apple and bacon
- ham, poached egg and melted butter
More healthy breakfast ideas
Breakfast doesn’t have to be boring! Check out my other healthy breakfast ideas here.
What do you like to top your french toast with? Comment below!
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- 2021 pop workout playlist + WIN a pair of wireless headphones! - February 1, 2021
- Getting your period back after having a baby - November 25, 2020
- Strategies to stop Emotional Eating - August 20, 2020