It’s not a really special occasion in our family unless there’s Mars Bar Slice on the table. Mars Bar Slice is an absolute FAVOURITE of ours and one of Mum’s recipes that I love. Did anyone else grow up with this? I think it’s a fairly Australian dessert. The trouble is, getting old means the calories don’t fall off me immediately (WHHHYYYY!!??) and the traditional version also has almost zero nutritional value. So to rectify this, I’ve created a Healthy Mars Bar Slice Recipe. It’s still a ‘treat’ as it’s quite energy dense but those calories are filled with ingredients that will benefit your body and that your body will process far easier because they are less refined. It tastes absolutely amazing, is refined sugar free, gluten free, dairy free and FODMAP friendly! It will be gracing our family table on Australia Day (and probably many other special occasions) this year and I can’t wait!
Confesssion – I also love snickers so I added some peanuts on top for what I like to call a ‘modern’ more textured twist on the traditional Mars Bar Slice – hope you love it as much as I do!
A FODMAP friendly dessert
I LOVE creating desserts for people like me who suffer with IBS and follow a low FODMAP diet. Please note this is only FODMAP friendly in one serving size. If dairy affects you or you’re vegan, opt for the 90% Lindt Chocolate which is dairy free and FODMAP friendly. It will still taste delicious, in fact I prefer it with it because I love dark chocolate.
- the main chunk/
- 1 C rice malt syrup
- ¾ C peanut butter
- 50g 72% dark chocolate, chopped (or Lindt 90% if want this recipe to be FODMAP friendly or vegan)
- 2 T coconut oil
- 4 ½ C gluten free rice bubbles
- For the top/
- ½ C salted peanuts
- 100g 72% dark chocolate (or Lindt 90% if want this recipe to be FODMAP friendly or vegan)
- 2 T coconut oil
- Line a deep tray/dish (approx. square 20cm tin)
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, bring the rice malt syrup to a rolling boil, and hold over a low heat for a minute.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter, dark chocolate, and coconut oil until melted. Return to a low heat if it needs a little help.
- Add the rice bubbles, and stir through to coat.
- Press the mixture into prepared tray, and sprinkle the peanuts on the top of the mixture.
- Allow to set in the fridge.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, and pour evenly over the slab.
- Return to the fridge to cool and set, before slicing and eating.
Want more healthy dessert recipes that are gluten free, dairy free or FODMAP friendly?
Check out my healthy dessert recipes here. I have quite a big selection for you to peruse!
Have a wonderful Australia Day!
I hope you can enjoy this healthy mars bar slice with friends and family as we celebrate this great nation together! If you make this recipe (or any of my recipes!), don’t forget to share it with me on facebook or instagram by tagging @eatprayworkout #EPWtribe so I can share what you thought with the rest of the tribe!