There’s nothing quite like snuggling up on the couch with a warm, sweet comforting dessert in winter. One of my favourite winter desserts is apple crumble so I’ve taken to the kitchen to create a healthier, gluten free and dairy free version of this; one which has all the pleasure and flavour of the traditional apple crumble, but also gives you an extra dose of nutrients after dinner. This is my healthy raspberry and apple crumble recipe, complete with sugar free healthy crumble topping. Sound good? Print or pin this recipe for later!
- 6 apples, diced
- 1¼ C raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- dash of apple juice
- ½ C walnuts
- ½ C desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 C flaked almonds
- 2 T rice malt syrup
- 1 T macadamia nut oil
- Preheat oven to 160 C (fan forced OR 180 C conventional)
- Start on the filling by dicing up the apples, placing them, along with a generous dash of juice, in a heavy based saucepan, and setting on a medium heat over the stove.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft.
- Make the crumble while you wait!
- Add walnuts, coconut, cinnamon, and ginger to a blender/food processor, and blend/pulse until the mixture begins to slightly stick together. Stop well before it turns into coconut butter!
- Add in the flaked almonds and mix by hand.
- Warm the oil with the rice malt syrup in the microwave for 10-20 seconds, and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Stir together to combine.
- Scoop your apples into a prepared dish, or multiple, smaller dishes.
- Top with raspberries.
- Scatter the crumble over the top, and bake for 25-30 mins, until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm.
What is a healthy alternative to ice cream to put with apple crumble?
A healthier side option to ice cream to have with this raspberry apple crumble is coconut ice-cream, coconut yogurt or greek yogurt.
Want more healthy dessert recipes?
You can find my healthy dessert recipes here.
The best EPW healthy dessert recipes
Some of my favourites are gluten free dairy free protein waffles, raw mango shortcake pie (great for summer), sugar free apple cake (also gluten and dairy free, made with coconut flour) and raw caramel macadamia slice.
What’s your favourite healthy winter dessert? Let me know in the comments below!
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Eggplant, Goats Cheese and Dill Vegetarian Fritters (gluten free, low FODMAP) - November 23, 2017
- Could Prioritising Spiritual Health be the Key to Positive Body Image & Weight Management? - November 20, 2017
- Chocolate Dipped Frozen Mango Pops - November 14, 2017