These delicious, sugar filled, mouth-watering treats have become somewhat a catalyst for my workouts. Growing up macaroons, cheesecake, friands, CHOCOLATE, my goodness, CHOCOLATE….was pretty much a staple diet for me. A day didn’t go by without me spending recess, lunch or free periods seeking out the girls selling fundraising chocolate. I ate giant Fredo Frogs at least twice a day. I had the teenage wonder-body. The bottomless pit some might say.
Unfortunately, my bottomless pit ceased to work soon after I started exercising for the first time in my life. This was when I met Reis 3 years ago. He was incredibly fit in comparison to me. At this point I couldn’t run for more than 10 minutes, if I was lucky. So I decided to fix this – my goal was to be able run with him without him feeling like he was coaxing a stubborn mule to move.
So I ran, x-trainer-ed, went to group fitness classes over and over and over. Now Reis and I run together. The nerves are no longer in regards to not being able to complete the run, rather it’s who will win. The mantra is ‘may the best half win’.
I hate hearing people say I can’t run. You can run, you choose not to run. Try it. Start small. Run a block, walk a block – that’s what I did. I enjoy sweets on a daily basis and not in particularly small portions (I am working on this though) but I work damn hard to be able to do this and keep a reasonable body. TIP: don’t think, just do.
My post-Christmas workouts
So what have I been up to lately? To get my confidence up I began back at the gym 5 times a week with an hour of cardio. I was comfortable with this. Start with what you’re comfortable with when you are getting back into it. The hour of cardio is broken into 3 x 20 min blocks and interchangeably placed with bike riding, the arc trainer, the x-trainer, the treadmill and the stepper.
But this gets boring and repetitive. So I’ve started replacing 10-20 min of Zuzana Light’s cross-fit style training. Find her workouts here: http://zuzkalight.com/
She is amazing and so are her workouts! I’ve modified some of them, but below is my workout log for this week.
- M: day off.
- T: for time, 3 sets of:
- 5 x plank row w/ should press jump 5kg (aka man-makers)
- 10 x push ups
- 15 x burpee with side jump
- 20 x 8kg kettle bell swings
MY TIME: 13: 40min.
Also did 20 min arc trainer and 10 min stepper.
- W: for time, 3 sets of:
- 50 x pendulums;
- 20 x burpees;
- 15 x kettlebell swings 8kg;
- 10 x push ups;
- 5 x squats 5kg medicine ball above head.
MY TIME: around 14 min
Also did: 45 min run with Jed.
- T: For each exercise reps as follows: 5, 10, 15, 10, 5:
- One leg raised on box lungs 12 kg in each hand (my butt was dying for two days after this);
- Superman then push up combo;
- Split lunge jumps.
MY TIME: 11minutes.
Also did: 10 min row, 20 min ride, 20 min arc trainer.
- F: AMRAP (as many reps as possible) 10 minutes:
- 10 x Bicep curl to shoulder press with 5kg;
- 30 x Medicine ball mountain climbers;
- 10 x sumo dead lift with high pulls 12kg;
- 5 x comp burpees (means your chest must hit the ground!)
MY SETS: 4
- S:only got 20 min arc trainer done today – I was too busy getting ready to go on holidays.
- S: nothing – caught in a Tornado on the Sunshine hinterland – literally! More to come on that!
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- What are the Immune Boosting Ingredients a Naturopath always has on hand? - March 27, 2020
- At home video workouts – get your instructor led gym classes at home! - March 23, 2020
- What to Look for when Choosing an Eco-friendly Sanitary Product - March 11, 2020