When at the thought of exercising, you begin to potter around, clean the house and look for food (and discover there is none, so you make cupcakes), you need to stop, and ask yourself – WHY AM I AVOIDING IT?! If you’re anything like me, the answer may be, ‘I’ve had a bit of time off and I know I won’t be at the same standard I used to be, it’s going to be painfully depressing.’ Well, guess what sweetheart, procrastinating and procrastibaking aren’t going to help you and really, who cares if you’re not as good as last time?! Exercise should be about having fun, see it as a healthy challenge to reach those goals again.
How to restart your workout routine:
- 1. Change your thinking – don’t let yourself think negatively about exercise – it’s only going to cement your existing behaviour. Again, see it as something enjoyable. If you don’t it will be difficult to create the habit. I see exercise as some ‘me time’, time that I can zone out and listen to music.
- 2. Just do it – you don’t have to be doing a long run straight away. Just put your runners on and take a step. Depending on your fitness level and motivation this first step may be a step for a walk; a step to run or a bit of both!
When I began running a couple of years ago I would run a block, walk a block. Then increase the challenge to run 2 blocks, walk 1 block. The same principle applies whatever stage you’re at – start completing small goals and you will be amazed at how quickly your confidence will grow.
- 3. Commit to it – plan the times you’re going to exercise and stick to them. Writing down my plan and putting it on the fridge or in my diary really helps me. Within a few weeks you will create a new habit and it will become a normalcy in your day.
So what are you waiting for? Go take that step!
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- At home video workouts – get your instructor led gym classes at home! - March 23, 2020
- What to Look for when Choosing an Eco-friendly Sanitary Product - March 11, 2020
- Public or Private Hospital for Birth in Australia? - March 6, 2020