I’m a list maker. I list on post it notes, diaries, word documents, in my head, on my hands, on serviettes and sometimes, even toilet paper (too far?). The last week though, I’ve been stumped trying to write a certain list. A list of relaxing activities for me. Things that make me stop. Rest. Take one of those deep, satisfying breaths of relief, with an echo of ‘yes, life is good and things will be okay’. This is one of my activities whist I’m practicing learning to rest.
I realised I was looking to quick fixes for pleasure (like chocolate) and/or frequently having a little breakdown then getting on with trying to be superwomen – both of which are really unsustainable habits – so I began this new list. I need at least 30 minutes a day without my brain running as fast as a Japanese train to help prevent these scenarios. So far, creating this list has been a surprisingly tough endeavour. But here it is:
Actvities to help you relax:
1. Get pampered! Paint your nails, do a facial or get a body scrub or massage.
2. Go for a walk through the park
3. Sit in the sun
4. Go to the gym or go for an easy run to clear your mind
5. Have a cup of tea
6. Spend time reflecting on God’s goodness and the things you have to be thankful for
7. Sit or walk in a garden
8. Listen to relaxing music eg. jack johnson, john mayer
9. Sip a good cappuccino at a cute cafe
10. Seeing a friend
11. Go to the beach
The idea is that each day you/I choose one of these activities and that is your rest time!
My relaxation time
On Sunday afternoon I stopped. I watched ‘I don’t know how she does it’ (very relatable, save for the children!). Although I still failed to just ‘watch’ the movie (I organised, painted nails, read and emailed), I will get better. Everything takes practice, right? Even relaxation!
I was happy to stop for two hours for me. My nails were lucky enough to get three coats, without looking like a two year old painted them because I sat still long enough to let them dry.
I also caught up with Jen, Yvette and her daughter Elsie (aren’t they just the dream mother-daughter team?!) for a coffee at New Farm. I am so thankful for those girls.
What do you do to relax? Leave a comment if you’ve got some ideas I can use whilst learning to rest!
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Interview: Work & Life with Sally Obermeder & Maha Corbett - November 21, 2019
- Choc Orange Hemp Protein Cookies - November 14, 2019
- Workout with Amy for FREE for 21 days with Les Mills On Demand - November 10, 2019