This workout was my trainer’s response to my request for some exercises that really got into my glutes because I tend to activate my legs more. It REALLY worked my glutes! It’s a good pre-summer workout to get your body cozzie ready. Repeat all these exercises 2-3 times through. If you prefer, you can break them into two groups to duplicate through, so that you’re not running between areas of the gym. For those who are subscribed, you’ll receive the free printable of this workout via the EPW newsletter. If you’re not subscribed yet and want all our pretty workout printables for FREE – subscribe now.
1. TRX Lunge and Leg Lift
- Facing away from the anchor point, place your left foot in both TRX straps, and plant your right foot firmly on the ground.
- Lower down into a lunge, extending the left leg behind you, without losing the bend in your knee.
- Bring the knee forward and up to hip height.
Repeat 10 times each side.
2. Barbell Back Squat
- Assume standing set up posture with wide foot position (at least shoulder width apart) and toes turned out.
- Ensure the knees are unlocked then bend hips and knees simultaneously to sit down and lower your body
- Allow the knees to move forwards as the hips move backwards keeping the knees inline with feet.
- The shin and trunk should be parallel with each other.
- Keep the neck in line with the spine – look forward along the floor as you descend.
- Go as low as you can maintaining good form (knees 90 degrees or slightly lower is suitable for most gym goers).
- Initiate the lift by pushing up through the heels, drive hips forward to fully extend without thrusting forward and fully extend the knees without locking.
3. Cable Woodchop
- Position cable so that it is under shoulder height
- Assume standing set up posture with wide stance and maintain a strong contraction in the arm and legs
- Initiate force from abdominals and twist the arms across the body rotating the torso. Allow the hips to follow the rotation.
- Finish with the weight transferred onto the outside leg.
Repeat 10 times.
4. Stability ball glutes raises
- Start on your back with your shoulders and head on the floor and both feet on the ball.
- Drive through your heels and press your body up into a bridge until your hips are fully extended.
- Lower your butt back to the floor.
Repeat 20 times.
5. Mountain Climbers
- Assume a press up position so your hands are directly under your chest at shoulder width apart with straight arms.
- Your body should form a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
- Lift your right foot off the floor and slowly raise your knee as close to your chest as you can.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg.
Continue alternating for 30 reps.
6. Assisted Pistol Squat
- Set up the Rings on something sturdy. Stand with your feet together about 4-5 feet from your anchor point. Tighten your core for the duration of the exercise.
- Lower yourself slowly as low as possible on one leg until you are almost touching the ground with your butt. Seek to keep your shoulders back, chest up, and your opposite leg as straight as possible.
- Pulling as minimally as possible, raise yourself back to standing keeping the non-working leg straight the entire time.
7. Battle Rope
- Stand with the battle rope straight along the floor.
- Hold the battle rope approx 5cm in from the end in each hand.
- Slight bend your knees and brace your core.
- Alternating your arm raises flick the rope into a wave. Try to get two waves going through a single side of the rope.
Repeat for 1 minute.
8. Weighted Ball Deadlift
- Place the between your toes on the ground, not too far forward – you want the weight to stay close to your body.
- Embrace core and with knees slightly facing out squat down reaching for the ball, but keeping your back straight.
- Edge your fingers under the ball, stand up and drop the ball down.
Repeat 10 times. I used a 20kg ball.
Want this workout in a PDF printable?
For ease of access at home or the gym on your phone or printed, subscribe here to receive a copy this workout in printable PDF form. It will be emailed to you once you have confirmed subscription via the email sent to you.
More EPW Workout’s with free printable’s for subscribers:
- Medicine Ball Home Workout
- HIIT Full Body Toning Workout
- TRX & Barbell Circuit
- ViPR Workout (not sure what ViPR is? Have a look! Fun new training tool!)
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Interview: Work & Life with Sally Obermeder & Maha Corbett - November 21, 2019
- Choc Orange Hemp Protein Cookies - November 14, 2019
- Workout with Amy for FREE for 21 days with Les Mills On Demand - November 10, 2019