After posting my crunchy breakfast muesli cookie recipe, a few of you contacted me asking where to buy coconut butter that was included in the recipe list. I’m not sure about where you can buy it (perhaps a health food store?) but I make my own from home and it is a pantry staple that I use regularly as a healthy sweetener in many of my recipes. Be warned, coconut butter is a bit temperamental. The altitude, temperature, and humidity of where you live, as well as the quality of the coconut you use will impact the final result of your homemade product. In any case, it WILL be delicious, nutritious, and an extremely handy pantry item in your healthy cooking ventures.
Homemade coconut butter recipe
- 3 cups dessicated coconut
- Add the dessicated coconut to a high powered blender.
- Turn on and blend until a liquid is formed. Scrape down the sides and blend again if some has been missed.
- Scrape into a jar and enjoy!
Tips for making your own coconut butter
- The coconut butter will be as a liquid just after blending, and can be melted in the microwave or stove top for ease of use.
- You will yield about 1/3 coconut butter from the amount of dessicated coconut used, prior to blending. eg. if you blend 3 cups of desiccated coconut you will get 1 cup of coconut butter.
- If you find your mix to be a bit dry once it is set, try melting your butter, and adding a tablespoon of melted coconut oil and stirring it through.
Eat Pray Workout Recipes that use homemade Coconut Butter
Crunchy Muesli Breakfast Cookies
These crunchy muesli breakfast cookies are a great on the go breakfast that you can use your homemade coconut butter with.
Watch this space – more recipes that use coconut butter will be added here soon. In the mean time, try it on your toast with a pinch of salt and dusting of cacao for a sweet treat.
Make sure you’ve subscribed to the Eat Pray Workout weekly newsletter to get all the latest healthy recipes!