Growing up one of my favourite meals that Mum made was Zucchini Slice. As we got older and started working in the afternoons or evenings it was great being able to take the left overs to work. I wanted to create a healthy zucchini slice, or something similar. So I checked out my fridge and threw together a few more healthy flavours! This recipe is packed with vegetables (giving you HEAPS of vitamins and minerals) AND I’ve made the recipe free from gluten. It’s well worth trying this Pumpkin, Ricotta & Spinach Gluten Free Slice.
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ bunch spinach
- 5 rashes of bacon, fat removed
- 2 cups pumpkin, diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 medium brown onion
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese, ½ cup to stir through, ¼ cup to sprinkle on top
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- FOR SALAD:
- 1 avocado sliced in wedges
- 1 bag of baby spinach and rocket
- balsamic glaze to serve, optional (store bought is not paleo but there are paleo recipes for this online)
- Heat fan forced oven to 180°C (non-fan forced to 200°C).
- Use a dash of coconut oil to oil round cake pan (deeper is better as spinach will be quite bulky until cooked) then line with baking paper.
- Partially cook the pumpkin (steam, boil or microwave for 2 mins covered with some water)
- In a very large bowl add bacon, onion, pumpkin, spinach, salt, pepper and ½ cup of the ricotta.
- In a separate medium bowl mix together eggs, flour, almond meal oil, water and whisk together.
- Combine egg mixture with other ingredients in large bowl and pour into pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until browned on top and skewer comes out clean.
- Serve on top of leaves, balsamic glaze and avocado.
A man-friendly healthy recipe
Taking it out of the pan
Be careful when taking the Pumpkin, Ricotta & Spinach Gluten Free Slice out of the pan. It can be quite crumbly so gently and evenly lift the slice from the pan with the baking paper.
You can also serve this with a potato salad or sweet potato mash (add a little thyme and season with salt and pepper for additional flavour).
It’s a favourite meal
You’ll have all members of the family interested in it!!
What’s your favourite family meal? Is there a meal you want to see made healthier?
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Lime Macadamia Dip with Sweet Potato Chips and Grilled Corn + Win 1kg Aus Macadamias - December 9, 2017
- Why Camel’s Milk Products are the New Skin Care Craze - December 6, 2017
- Her Christmas Gift Guide 2017 - December 5, 2017