These Raw Choc Drop Vanilla Biscuits are a great snack or treat to make on a Sunday afternoon ready for the week ahead. Unlike normal biscuits they are packed with nourishing ingredients – nuts, coconut oil, cocoa, coconut and vanilla paste!
Is coconut oil as wonderful as is claimed?
Whilst coconut oil is considered a solid fat (80-95% saturated fat, bad for heart disease), it differs chemically from the saturated fat in beef and chocolate. Coconut oil is made up of lauric acid and myristic acid, with lesser amounts of palmitic acid; whereas chocolate and beef are dominated by palmitic acid. The fatty acids in coconut oil will still increase your bad LDL cholesterol; although research also suggests that it increases the good HDL cholesterol too – so whilst it isn’t the worst of oils, remember to eat it as a treat! Other research is still preliminary, however there are claims that it helps control sugar cravings, increase metabolism, ease digestion and control weight. Despite the qualms around coconut oil’s actual health benefits, it is not the worst of oils for you, it is still a plant based oil which are generally better than other oils. AND it’s SUPER delicious in sweets. So enjoy, just enjoy in moderation!
- FOR BASE:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1-1.5 tbs honey (depending how sweet you like your biscuits)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla paste
- FOR CHOC DROP:
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbs baking Nativa
- ½ cup 100% natural peanut butter
- ½ cup raw cocao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Place the nuts in the food processor and whizz until crumbly.
- Add remaining base ingredients and whizz until combined.
- Scoop into small biscuit rounds, place on a lined tray and press your thumb into the centre to create a crater like indent (this is where you will later pour the chocolate drop).
- Place tray in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all choc drop ingredients into a clean food processor and whizz until combined.
- Remove tray from fridge and use a teaspoon to pour choc drops on top.
- Place in fridge for further 30 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these biscuits as much as Reis and I did! For more healthier snacks – see my recipes here x
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- How to Choose a Quality Rosehip Oil - June 19, 2019
- Potato Rose Spiced Shepherds Pie with Vegan Option - June 13, 2019
- Simple & Healthy Banana Bread (Low FODMAP, gluten & dairy free) - May 10, 2019