Want a tasty, healthy recipe that the whole family will go BANANAS for? Look no further than my mouth-watering Banana Bread! This yummy loaf is quick and easy and will satisfy those sugar cravings with some decadent dark chocolate thrown in…-dee-lish! In addition to its amazing aroma, my Banana Bread is also packed with all the good stuff your body needs like potassium, fibre and protein. Whether you serve it fresh or toast it later, one thing’s for sure- your loved ones will go APE for it!
Let’s chat about the hero of this dish: bananas. Not only are they delicious, bananas also contain high levels of potassium which are essential for regulating your heart beat and maintaining blood pressure. An integral mineral, potassium also allows your muscles to flex and for your nerve cells to react. As well as potassium, bananas additionally contain antioxidants which can help fight chronic diseases and free radicals- that is, unstable molecules which often cause damage to our cells. Magnesium in this fabulous fruit also helps to support a healthy immune system and strong bones- how good is that?
If bananas are the hero of this recipe, chia seeds and dark chocolate are the trusty sidekicks here to help boost your nutrition.
One of my favourite super foods, chia seeds (like bananas) are rich in antioxidants and provide a great source of fibre to keep your digestion system happy and healthy. Incredibly versatile, chia seeds also contain iron and omega-3 fatty acids which help to prevent strokes and heart attacks.
As if you needed another excuse to eat chocolate, dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and actually offers protection against free radicals much in the same way bananas do. Additionally it contains less added sugar and fat than other types of chocolate and boosts your immune system. A potential cancer prevention, dark chocolate can also help to stabilise cholesterol and improve your all around heart health- you don’t have to tell me twice!
- ⅓ C coconut oil, melted
- ½ C rice malt syrup
- 2 T chia seeds + 6 T water
- 4 medium-large bananas (still firm if you want the recipe to be low FODMAP)
- 3 T almond milk (or dairy free milk of your choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ¾ C gluten free plain flour
- 120g 70% dark chocolate (NB: if you need this to be dairy free, opt for a dairy free dark chocolate or Lindt 90% dark chocolate), cut into chunks
- - Sit chia seeds in a small bowl with the water, allow to set for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 160 C (fan forced), and line/grease a large loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil, and rice malt syrup.
- Beat in the chia gloop.
- Mash 3 of the bananas with a fork, in a separate bowl, and then mix in the banana, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Sift in the bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon, and gf flour, and fold in gently with a spoon.
- Add the chocolate chunks and stir through.
- Pour the mixture into prepared tin.
- Slice the remaining banana in half, lengthways, and place on top.
- Sprinkle with an extra shake of cinnamon, and bake in the oven 50-60 mins, until golden brown, and the cake pulls ever so slightly from the sides.
- Remove once cooked through, allow to sit in the tin for 10 or so minutes, before transferring to a wire rack and sitting for another few minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm! (Or toast it later!)
ARE YOU THINKING WHAT I’M THINKING B1?
This recipe is pretty versatile! Depending on your taste, why not add some delicious fresh blueberries, raspberries or pear? Or try serving it with some yoghurt? What are your suggestions? Leave them in the comments below to share with the Eat Pray Workout Tribe.
WHAT’S MINE IS YOURS
If you make any of our delicious recipes, don’t forget to tag @eatprayworkout and #EPWtribe on Instagram or Facebook -I’ll be sharing your fabulous creations on my stories to show the rest of the tribe!
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Workout with Amy for FREE for 21 days with Les Mills On Demand - November 10, 2019
- Baked Lupin Blueberry Breakfast Slice with Gut-loving Coconut Yoghurt - October 27, 2019
- Anti-Inflammatory Grapefruit Smoothie GF // RSF // VG // - October 9, 2019