Tofu is so versatile, I can’t believe I am just discovering it!! It’s made from dried soybeans that have been ground, filtered and boiled. Standing alone, it is like tasteless rubber. But add some spices and crisp up the outside in the frying pan and you’ve got yourself a flavoursome lunch! I used ‘sumac’ spice and paired it with some fresh beetroot hummus. Have you ever tried pronouncing hummus with a real accent right from the back of the throat? It’s quite fun. Hummus, hummus, hummus. Get in ma belly. Anyway, I stirred more in after the photos and made a real PINK mess of my salad.
1.5 medium beetroots, peeled and cut in wedges
1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
420g can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons of tahini
400g firm tofu (3cm square pieces)
3 tablespoons sumac
100g baby spinach leaves
1. On a medium heat in a lightly oiled pan, cook onion until tender, then set aside.
2. Place beetroot in pan, covered for about 15 minutes, turning once.
3. Boil chickpeas for 10 minutes and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
4. Blend beetroot, chickpeas, cooking liquid, garlic, juice and tahini until smooth.
5. Cover tofu with sumac in a medium bowel then cook in lightly oiled pan, turning occasionally until browned all over.
6. Toss together spinach, onion and rocket and serve topped with tofu and beetroot hummus.
Hommus is high in protein (although not as high as meat), low in fat and very low in saturated fat. Note that tofu is sold in different solidities, I used regular, but recommend using extra firm as it is much easier to cook with as it doesn’t fall apart.
If you have left over hommus, cut up some carrot sticks and eat it as a dip! An easy lunch. Enjoy x
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Workout with Amy for FREE for 21 days with Les Mills On Demand - November 10, 2019
- Baked Lupin Blueberry Breakfast Slice with Gut-loving Coconut Yoghurt - October 27, 2019
- Anti-Inflammatory Grapefruit Smoothie GF // RSF // VG // - October 9, 2019