I’m a proud healthy cook that is soon to be outdone by Eat Pray Workout’s student, newest chef and my dear husband, Reis! Reis’ cooking skills have improved so much lately, especially in his use of spices and ability to cook without recipes, utilising what food we have in the fridge. This is how I cook my meals and create recipes for EPW. I buy what is in season and make up my meals as I go, rather than buying ingredients for a certain dish. I’ve been really impressed lately with Reis’ creations and thought I would share some with you. This is one of them, Sumac Chicken and Apple Salad.
The contrasting colours and textures made this dish both pleasing to the tastebuds and the eyes! The apple, beetroot and sumac worked really well and the sweet potato gave it some low GI carbs to get us ready for training the next morning. The bacon gave it extra flavour that Reis notes is a must – “no meal is complete without bacon!” he says. Make sure you use middle bacon and cut off any fat to ensure your salad is completely nourishing and beneficial for your body.
- 1.5 tbs of paprika
- ½ tsp Chilli flakes
- 500gm chicken breast
- 2 tbs Native lemon pepper blend spices
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 sliced of bacon, diced
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced thinly
- ¼ jap pumpkin, 1cm cubes
- 1 sweet potato, 1cm cubes
- 3 beetroot, sliced thinly
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- ½ bag rocket leaves
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix together paprika, lemon pepper blend and chilli flakes then rub into chicken.
- Fry onion, mushroom and bacon in a tbs of olive oil on medium heat until cooked through.
- Remove bacon mix and place in a bowl to cool.
- In the same pan, fry beetroot on medium heat until cooked through. Remove and place in a separate bowl to cool (otherwise it will stain other vegetables and ruin your presentation!).
- In a separate pan with a dash of the olive oil fry the apple. Remove and add to bowl with bacon mix to cool.
- In the same pan, cook the chicken on medium heat until cooked through, turning after 5 minutes.
- Par-boil sweet potato and pumpkin, drain on paper towel, then fry in a dash of olive oil until the outside is slightly crispy.
- In the serving bowl add rocket leaves, cucumber, 2 carrots and bacon mix. Add apple, chicken and beetroot top with lemon juice. Toss lightly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Do you like apple in salad? What’s your favourite salad? Like this recipe? Check out some more salads here.
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Should we have a Plan B BEFORE we Burnout? - August 2, 2021
- 2021 pop workout playlist + WIN a pair of wireless headphones! - February 1, 2021
- Getting your period back after having a baby - November 25, 2020