Beans? In Soup? It sounds strange, but my goodness it tastes good. Thick, creamy and aromatic – the pictures cannot begin to reveal its wonderful flavours! This soup is so easy, prep time is about 15 minutes and you can slow cook it or cook in a saucepan on the stove. The recipe uses kaffir limes (and normal limes) – make sure you bother getting the kaffir limes, their fragrance and flavour makes the biggest difference when cooking thai dishes.
Thai bean, coconut and lime soup
– 1/2 tbs sunflower oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1tbs Thai green curry paste
– 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
– 450ml chicken stock
– zest of 1 kaffir lime and 1/2 its juice
– 1/2 normal lime juice
– 400ml coconut milk
– 2 tsp fish sauce
– Sliced Australian Banana Chillis, deseeded
– unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped to serve
– fresh coriander leaves to serve
1. On medium heat, heat oil in saucepan and cook onion until soft.
2. Add the curry paste and stir for a minute or until fragrant.
3. Add beans, stock, lime zest and juice and EITHER (a) bring to boil and then set on low heat for 10 minutes OR (b) place in slow cooker for 3 hours on low.
4. Cool slightly and puree in food processor until smooth.
5. Add coconut milk and fish sauce, reheating EITHER on a gentle heat in saucepan OR on low for 1 hour in slow cooker.
6. Service with sprinkled chilli, peanuts and coriander.
Bon appétit! (or whatever the Thai equivalent is!)
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- 2021 pop workout playlist + WIN a pair of wireless headphones! - February 1, 2021
- Getting your period back after having a baby - November 25, 2020
- Strategies to stop Emotional Eating - August 20, 2020