It can be difficult to find healthy Easter treats but the good news is it’s not impossible! You can be in on all the fun of Easter and reduce your sugar intake at the same time. So what is the solution to enjoying chocolate without ending up feeling sick and guilty from over indulging over the long weekend? Chocolate covered strawberries! I’m sharing all the tips and tricks to avoiding the lumpy-chocolate-look so you can give the prettiest healthy Easter basket of chocolate covered strawberries!
A Healthy Easter Gift and Dessert Idea
These chocolate covered strawberries make excellent gifts or contributions to that family get-together you are having and are far better than a bag of Easter eggs! And as an added bonus, they are so simple. All you will need is chocolate, strawberries, and a zip-lock bag full of warm melted chocolate to make extra cute decorations! We added ribbons and picks to dress it up a bit too – this cost all of $2 from the local store. This treat is sure to let you enjoy yourself this Easter!
How to make Chocolate Covered Strawberries
An Easy Recipe for Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 2 packs of Cadbury chocolate melts (white, dark or milk chocolate –consider how you want to decorate them)
- 2 punnets of strawberries
- plastic clip lock bag for piping
- Decorations of choice (coconut, nuts, hundreds and thousands, edible glitter, etc)
Tips for Chocolate Covered Strawberries
To avoid an unappealing lumpy melted chocolate mess over your strawberry, there’s a few tricks of the trade to successful chocolate cover strawberries and I’m going to share them with you now!
1. Make sure your strawberries are fresh and firm and give them a rinse with water.
2. Allow the strawberries to reach room temperature by letting them dry on paper towel. This is essential, if the strawberries are not dry the chocolate will not stick properly and you’ll have a chunky finish to your chocolate.
3. Before you melt your chocolate, prepare a room in the fridge for the trays that you will soon lay your chocolate covered strawberries on to set. Cover large trays with baking paper. In a bowl place fresh paper towel and dry strawberries.
4. Melt your dipping chocolate in a glass jug in the microwave for 1 minute (check and stir it at 30 seconds to avoid burnt chocolate) or use a double boiler on a light simmer if melting chocolate on the stove.
5. Hold the leaves of the strawberries by gathering them in your fingers, then dip the strawberry into the chocolate without letting the chocolate touch the leaves. Leaving touch of red at the top of the strawberry always looks nice too. Repeat for all of the strawberries.
7. As you lift the strawberry from the chocolate, twist your wrist to turn the strawberry upside down. This helps achieve a classy and clean finish, free from excess chocolate that could turn lumpy (although sometimes a thicker layer is nice if it’s smooth!).
How to decorate chocolate covered strawberries
You can decorate with MORE melted chocolate – try pipping them with white chocolate, dark chocolate milk chocolate or even white chocolate with food colouring.
PIPING TIP: Add melted chocolate into separate zip lock bags and snip a tiny hole in the corner of each so you can use the bag like a piping bag. Make sure you start with a small hole, you can always make it bigger, but the smaller the hole the more control over the decorating detail you have.
Other decorating ideas include rolling them in coconut, crushed nuts (almond, peanuts or even pistachios for a splash of green), hundreds and thousands or edible glitter! Check out the EPW pinterest page for more decorating ideas!
Once you’ve decorated, set berries in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
Want to see how? Watch below:
How to Store Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Once your strawberries are set don’t keep them in the refrigerator, they are better in a cool place in an air tight container to avoid the white chalky look chocolate gets when it is cold for too long.
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- The Active Mum’s Pram Workout - August 10, 2018
- How to improve your wellbeing by bringing nature indoors. - August 9, 2018
- Mocha Protein Bars - August 6, 2018