This Tuna, Black Beans and Roast Pumpkin Rice Salad is one of my favourite salads to make because I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It’s simple and works well to prepare ahead of time, whether you want dinner waiting to come home to or want to make it for lunches for the week ahead.
It serves about 6 and is high in protein with the tuna/beans combo plus it’s low GI and packed with fibre to keep you fuller for longer. This will avoid those blood sugar levels dropping quickly causing you to strongly crave that sweet treat at 3pm or after dinner.
- ¼ butternut pumpkin
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbs Cobram Estate garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
- pink himalayan salt, to tase
- 250g cooked brown rice
- 150g solanato sweet snacking tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 tsp Cobram Estate extra virgin olive oil
- 50g slivered almonds
- 1 can whole corn kernels
- 60g rocket
- 100g black beans, cooked (I used pre-cooked and no drain pouch from Edgell - easy to keep in the cupboard)
- 425g tuna in spring water
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs Cobram Estate extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Dice pumpkin and sweet potato into 1cm squares.
- Place pumpkin & sweet potatoes into baking tray and season with garlic infused olive oil and pink himalayan salt.
- Put in oven to bake for 40 min or until slightly brown.
- Cook rice as per packet instructions.
- Chop sweet snacking tomatoes in half and set aside.
- Dice cucumber and set aside.
- Add EVOO in pan and heat. Add slivered almonds in pan until lightly browned (it won't take long so keep stirring and don't walk away). Set aside (don't nibble on too many - #guilty!).
- Drain corn.
- Cover platter with rocket, black beans and tuna.
- Let sweet potatoes and pumpkin cool.
- Mix lime juice, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper together and shake in jar.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large salad bowl and serve on large platter style salad plate.
Did you try it? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below! You can also check out the other Eat Pray Workout dinner recipes here.
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Should we have a Plan B BEFORE we Burnout? - August 2, 2021
- 2021 pop workout playlist + WIN a pair of wireless headphones! - February 1, 2021
- Getting your period back after having a baby - November 25, 2020