Not too long ago I invited stylist Amelia Clements from Luxe Everyday to help me declutter and detox my wardrobe (some of you may have seen on my instagram stories). When you see the mounds of clothes, shoes and bags that I donated to the op shop (shocking, I know!), you will agree that this wardrobe detox was well overdue. I’m not an intentional hoarder (in fact I cringe at the thought of being an unintentional hoarder :|), but I found myself unsure of what to keep and overwhelmed at the task of going through it all. I am SO glad that I had Amelia on side to help me sort it out, it was the best investment. I want to share with you my detox experience (time lapse video included!), a few of the things she taught me and my new wardrobe wish list for Winter 2017.
Why is a wardrobe detox needed?
Feel like you have a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear? That’s a good indication that it is time for a wardrobe cleanse/detox/clean out! Whatever you call it, it’s time to let go of those pieces which no longer serve you. You will thank yourself for it afterwards, trust me! This was everything that I gave to the op shop from my wardrobe – gosh it felt good to let go of things I hadn’t worn in a long time.
Helpful tips when doing a Wardrobe Cleanse
When cleaning out your wardrobe and deciding if you should keep something or not, ask yourself these questions:
- Does this make me feel confident and beautiful?
- Have I worn this in the last year?
- Have I worn this so many times I am tired of it?
- How old is this piece?
- Are their stains, pulls or pilling on this garment?
- Do I fit this NOW? Contrary to popular belief, owning clothes too small for you doesn’t motivate you to get in shape. Instead use new clothes to celebrate when you reach your fitness goals!
Then when you have decided to get rid of a garment, determine:
- Is this in mint condition? If so, is there a friend that would like this or could I sell this online?
- Is this good enough to give to the op shop (only give it if you would wear it in that condition)?
- If it is not suitable for either of the above, bin it!
My Wardrobe Before the Wardrobe Detox
What a mess! and this was only half of the cupboard…
My Wardrobe After the Wardrobe Detox
It is SO much easier to find things now and now I’m only on my side of the wardrobe, not Reis’. For the first time in 5.5 years we actually have equal space in the wardrobe!
Can’t I just do it myself, do I really need a stylist?
You don’t need it but I was thankful for it. For me, it was a good investment because:
- It made me committed to the job that I had been putting off for so long – I had a set time that was non-negotiable to do this!
- It gave me clarity – she helped me talk through whether I would wear something again and gave advice on what I could wear it with if I wanted to keep something.
- It gave me confidence, confidence knowing I wasn’t holding onto ‘stuff’ just because but also confidence in knowing that I was wearing things that made me feel good!
- It gave me direction in what garments I needed to add to my wardrobe which makes shopping far less overwhelming and will help me spend my money more wisely.
- It changed my mindset to a more minimalistic, less materialistic one. Having less gives you more. More space, more money to invest in other things and more appreciation for the things you have. In fact, I now want to go through all my cupboards to do a clean out because it just feels so good – I feel lighter! I also feel like I have more brain space to pay attention to what’s in fashion now because I can see what I need.
New Wardrobe Wish list
About my stylist, Amelia
Amelia Clements is a Canberra based creative writer and fashion stylist with over 12 years industry experience. She believes everyone deserves the opportunity to discover their own style and wear it with confidence everyday. Amelia is currently pregnant and styling it wonderfully, check out her instagram – very inspiring!
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Is Butter Better than Margarine? Dietitian shares insights. - September 21, 2019
- Aria’s Newborn Photoshoot + Win a photoshoot with Sydney Lifestyle & Family photographer Afton Fife (valued at over $2000) - September 13, 2019
- Retail therapy calling you? Here’s some things I am loving right now! - September 6, 2019