Yesterday, Australia hit its hottest day on record with an average of 40.33 degrees across the country, with some places reaching 47 degrees. In such extreme heat it is important to stay hydrated, as you lose more of your water supply through sweat. Dehydration occurs when your output of water is higher than your input and the implications can be uncomfortable (headaches, sickness, dry skin) and anything but good for your health. I often find myself with a headache because I haven’t been drinking enough water, and this is on days without heatwaves.
Water is the ONLY source that can hydrate you effectively. So today, reach for the water instead of the soft drink, tea or coffee. Count your glasses to ensure you are drinking the recommended 8 glasses, or more if you are exercising or sweating profusely. In fact, this should be a part of your daily routine and here’s 4 reasons why:
1. You’ll look younger with healthier skin – Water helps to replenish skin tissue, moisturise skin and increase skin elasticity.
2. Drinking water helps you lose weight – If your stomach is filled with water, it helps supress your appetite, so you won’t overeat. Studies show that your sugar cravings increase when you are thirsty. Prevent those cravings!Drinking sufficient amounts of water also prevents fluid retention, because your body won’t try to retain water if it’s getting enough.
Drinking water also helps your body burn stored fat. If you’re not drinking enough water, your liver will be forced to help your kidneys detoxify your body. When you drink plenty of water, your kidneys don’t need assistance, so your liver will be able to metabolise stored fat more efficiently. Drinking water flushes toxins from your body and helps maintain a normal bowel function.
3. Drinking Water Helps You Build Muscle
The reason for this is water carries oxygen to the cells of your body, including those of your muscles. More oxygen enables your muscles to work harder and longer before they feel tired, which in turn helps you build muscle.
4. Helps in brain productivity – Drinking water will boost your cognitive ability. This is because much of the brain is made up of water and oxygen is carried to the brain cells via water. You will be able to think more clearly and be happier for the same!
TIPS ON HOW TO INCREASE YOUR WATER INTAKE:
– Always carry a bottle of water in your handbag, car, kitchen bench and/or desk.
– Write it down! Note it in your diary each time you drink water so you can see if you need to increase your intake or not.
– Each time you eat, have a glass of water.
– If eating out, when asked your drink orders, begin with water!
– If you don’t like the taste of water, add some lemon, lime or mint to it – this infuses it with a lovely refreshing flavour.
Keep safe in the sun and I hope you all have air conditioning!
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Lime Macadamia Dip with Sweet Potato Chips and Grilled Corn + Win 1kg Aus Macadamias - December 9, 2017
- Why Camel’s Milk Products are the New Skin Care Craze - December 6, 2017
- Her Christmas Gift Guide 2017 - December 5, 2017