I’m not much of a salad fan when it comes to winter, the cold days leave me longing for more hearty dishes like this Winter Warming Chicken and Nutty Seasonal Vegetables dish. This is a simple but flavoursome combination that’s enjoyable for all the family and great to cook ahead of time for lunches or dinners during the week. It also freezes quite well too.
HOT TIP – two dishes from one!
Instead of grilling chicken breast, you can buy a hot BBQ chicken and shred it (here’s another recipe you can use a BBQ chook in). This makes it a bit quicker but also give you a chicken carcass that you can boil up for chicken stock as the basis of a soup. Also, if you save the water from the vegetables you boil in this recipe then you can also use it for vegetable broth in a soup. Throw in some veggies and soup mix lentils and voila – there’s another meal for the week!
Get a good dose of Omega 3’s with this nut and seeds dressing
I love the dressing on these vegetables fresh dill and macadamia oil combined with LSA (linseed, sunflower seed and almond), sesame seeds and chia seeds. This offers a healthy dose of good fats which are a great source of Omega 3 and assist in absorbing fat soluble vitamins. They also offer a full bodied nutty flavour, combined with the beautiful texture and flavour of the macadamia nut oil. It’s a subtle flavouring that won’t put little ones off the dish either. It’s just plain YUM for all!.
Winter Warming Chicken and Nutty Seasonal Vegetables Recipe
- 200g pumpkin, diced 2cm cubes
- 200g potatoes, diced 2cm cubes
- 200g brussel sprouts
- 200g broccoli, florets
- 200g cauliflower, florets
- 2 large chicken breast fillets, diced or shredded
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp macadamia nut oil or other cold pressed nut/seed based oil
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp LSA mix
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- Bring potatoes and pumpkin to the boil in a large saucepan with a pinch of salt and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan heat the extra virgin olive oil on medium heat then cook the chicken, turning once, ensuring it is cooked all the way through.
- In a small bowl, combine, hemp seed oil, chia seeds, LSA, sesame seeds and dill.
- Drain vegetables and place in large serving bowl. Toss through oil mixture and chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
You may also like :
Latest posts by Amy Darcy (see all)
- Interview: Work & Life with Sally Obermeder & Maha Corbett - November 21, 2019
- Choc Orange Hemp Protein Cookies - November 14, 2019
- Workout with Amy for FREE for 21 days with Les Mills On Demand - November 10, 2019